DJ Sound Cards that work with Mixxx under Linux

As the title suggests - What DJ sound cards (stand-alone, or embedded in a controller) work with Mixxx under Linux, without jumping through hoops?

Specifically, a multi-channel card you just plug into a USB port, then open Mixxx, go into Preferences, select Master and Headphone outputs, and it sets up correctly. Even better if it’s in a controller.

I’m not interested in “any USB Class Compliant Device should work”. I’m interested in devices you’ve had personal experience with that are basically plug-n-play.

Thanks!

I use an BEHRINGER U-CONTROL UCA200 and it’s work as well, i think also the UCA202 and UCA222 will work.

1 Like

While using them in multiples might work, that is not what I asked.

DJ sound cards are usually a single device with multiple outputs that can accommodate both the Master output, as well as a Headphone output for Pre-listening, Cueing, Beat Matching, etc. An example would be a Native Instruments Audio2DJ - a card I actually use, but for many on Linux a PIA because it is not Plug’n Play, you need to have a .asoundrc file to tell ALSA how to handle it - something many Linux Distros omit. So, I’m basically looking for cards similar to that, but that Joe Shmo can just plug into the USB port and use without having to do anything whacked, or Controllers with a built in sound card like that. After all, Mixxx under Linux has been around 18+ years, there should be something, no?

Zero suggestions so far.

I fear that there are none. Mostly because a soundcard is designed for Windows and it may just accidentally work also for Linux. Even more so for specialized cards. The Linux market is simply too small.

A 4 channel interface that I have been using to DJ in Linux over a year now is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD. Have had good experiences with this unit using both Manjaro and Debian Testing, with Mixxx being most stable for me under Debian.

I would be interested in that as well. I currently use the Denon MC7000 for which the built in Audio Interface only works with a Kernel hack.
The Denon MC4000 Controller had a solid Audio Interface working out of the box for Master and Headphones but the Microphones where handled in hardware so there is no channel back to the PC.

Having a separate device that handles 2 or even 3 independent stereo streams (Master, Booth, Headphone) and also got balanced outputs would be fantastic but I did not really find some. Most of the Audio devices have only one stereo channel for Master and Headphone like the Zoom UAC-2… I have got that one attached to my Laptop for all other audio processing but not for DJ-ing.

For me the Roland Rubix 24 works good enough. Just make sure you are using a good external power supply (5V and at least 1A) connected to its micro USB power input otherwise the audio outputs on this interface will sound a bit distorted and lifeless and with muddier stereo image.

I also found that using the Rubix 24 and Mixxx with the JACK Audio Connection Kit I can achieve lower latency and more stable performance.
I followed this guide for the JACK and the interface setup:
wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/list_o … _interface

Edit: I checked it again and now ALSA directly seems to be better.

And set the cpu governor to “performance”
sudo cpupower -c all frequency-set -g performance

I also turned off the spectre, meltdown, etc mitigations.

Dell E6520
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

These controllers have soundcards that are ‘USB Class compliant’ and are immediately recognised by ALSA:
Behringer BCD 3000
Numark Mixtrack Pro 3
Numark Mixtrack Platinum

I’ve used all three at public events (meaning, myself and other people that were in the room or in the garden).
Played for hours, no problem whatsoever, on a fairly old laptop (Thinkpad T60).
‘Joe Shmo’ (whoever that may be, never met him) will have to pick the right configuration in Preferences for it to work, but I don’t know if that counts as a ‘hoop’ to jump through.

I love my Yamaha AG03 which has XLR for mic and separate headphone and mains control knobs.
6 channel is even more inputs but both may be DJ unfriendly as more musician knobs than live Midi controller mixer.
High resolution (24-bit192kHz) 2-track audio recording and playback.
usa.yamaha.com/products/music_p … index.html

Recently I acquired Numark Party with 4 channel that Mixxx select as 2 stereo or 4 independent CD quality destinations.
numark.com/product/party-mix

PartyMix_angle_lights_3000x1875-624x390.jpg

Only a noob with this approach and DJ live mix sound.

Both brands have larger consoles up to hundreds of inputs for studio.

I have used (now exclusively) Ubuntu Studio Linux that is specifically low latency kernel for audio.

As I write I am upgrading another system to EOAN 19.10 that didn’t originally have the low latency but may have it after.
System is $100 Odroid N2 with Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS before upgrade.

These types of devices are not recommended for Mixxx. They typically only have 2 channels in/out. I edited the wiki to explicitly mention these Yamaha AG mixers along with the Behringer Xenyx mixers. If you don’t need microphone inputs, it would make more sense to get a Mixtrack Pro 3 than those little Yamaha mixers. If you do need the mic inputs and need the mic to go to the computer for recording/broadcasting, a controller without a built-in audio interface such as the non-Pro version of the Numark Mixtrack 3 or the Party Mix together with a separate audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or Roland Rubix 24 would be more appropriate.

USB sound cards on Ubuntu 16.04

I have used U-CONTROL UCA202.
Main output of card for main of Mixxx and laptop earphone output for Preview.
Nothing to set in Linux. It is Plug and Play.

I use today USB Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 MK2
Main output of card for main of Mixxx and earphone output of card for Preview.
In Mixxx, the two different outputs are set into the USB card output (2 different channels).
I need to open alsamixer in a terminal because the main output Gain is set only at 50% of the maximum Gain.
Nothing to set in Linux. It is Plug and Play.

These are units I have first hand experience with:

The Pioneer DDJ-SB2 is one I am using with absolutely zero issues with Linux (Xubuntu 16.04), it is great. Fast response. I have played lots of gigs and hours of practice with this unit. I would buy another one to replace it in an instant (2nd hand as it is no longer made).
(the SB3 is newer and may have a less mature mapping, so I dont have any experience of it)
Plug and play… (almost… run mixxx with “pasuspender mixxx” to get pulseaudio out of the way, config the sound card channels and load the SB2 preset mapping).

I also have a VESTAX TYPHOON I got second hand, it works perfectly though the sliders respond a bit slowly.

I have also had a NUMARK MIXTRACK Pro… not all the effect buttons work in a way I could figure out, but all the core DJ functions (EQ, CUE, sync, headphone etc) and 4 audio channel audio work flawlessly with great SQ. Played lots of gigs with this with zero issues.

I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen) I have used with MIXXX (alongside my Pioneer DDJ SB2) - I just tried it to see if it worked in case I ever needed higher SQ balanced out and it worked great with Linux and MIXXX…

But that’s mainly used as my recording interface and the built in sound card in the PIoneer DDJ SB2 are more than good enough for normal gigs… unless I ever get an Audiophile DJ gig playing through a super high end system :ugeek:

I would like to see an example video of mic user DJ that streams live broadcast (duck vocal).

I am learning different scenarios and just began to recognize streaming broadcasting which is
why I selected the AG03 with physical knobs and XLR for higher quality mic.
I have been using non-computer sound reinforcement for years and now migrating using Mixxx to
try something new.
Usually I let minimally trained public access the mixer
and add vocal comments and media from personal devices.

I started with PA for local government events and added house parties where host has something to add. I don’t do weddings or other similarly organized events.

This year I added battery Bluetooth PA with mike that friends and family pair with for their playlist during
family parties. Somehow I want to use Mixxx with Numark party mix to the this battery PA & mic combo.
AS12togo

This is how I use this resource instead of old days with 16 channel in and stereo out mixer with separate monitor speakers for all 16 stereo inputs. Speakers are massive main cabinets and powered monitors.
gem-powercase-16-64991

This PA is larger than my Makie 1202 I normally used for broadcast and recorded video stream in the old days. I also used with out computer and directly into powered monitors at parties.
mackie-micro-series-1202-first-series-l

I have both the Behringer UFX1604 and the Pioneer DDJ-SR2.

The UFX1604 works fine in 44100hz only, on 96000hz you have pops every 1 second or so. I’ll look into the issue but I’m not exactly a kernel hacker. Since it has 4 outs you set FW 3-4 to CH 15/16 and mute the channel, then route ALT 3-4 to your headphones for PFL.

The Pioneer DDJ-SR2, which I prefer because it is a full controller, has to have the kernel manually patched. There’s a thread here: DDJ-SR2 LINUX

A PREEMPT kernel and JACK are a must in my opinion, and the best setup in terms of OS environment a DJ can have for now. Be prepared for a RAM upgrade.

Markus… I just found your post. Take another look at Linux for DJ work. I use Linux Mint /64 version 20.2 (kernel version 5.4) and everything works that is ISO compliant. My Newmark mixers, Focusrite 2i2, Droid & IOS phones, all work without wrestling with any Microsoft drivers. Even the Bluetooth stuff running a collection of Dell laptops (latitudes, Vostros, most are business class units).
I gave up on windows and have become a BIG Linux fan because of the stability.