Has anyone had the Pioneer DJM-S3

Hi folks,
I am very new (as in first day on Mixxx) and trying to get a better understanding of the workings and such as I am from the M$oft world until this past week switched to Linux. I am trying to find info on the DJM-S3 so that I can maybe still be able to DJ on my CDJ-2000s like I had the ability to do with Serato. I can not even get Linux to recognize my mixer as a sound card but the MIDI was able to be mapped.
Any guidance or reading material would be greatly appreciated as I have racked my brain and sent myself in a full circle over this and I’d really hate to have to go back to windows JUST so I can do my DJ gigs :frowning:
Thank You in Advance,
Kooldown

Unfortunately this will probably require some small changes to Linux to get it working. People have recently added support for several Pioneer mixers to Linux, but this is not one of them. If you are willing to get your hands dirty compiling your own kernel with custom patches one of those people may be willing to write some code for you to test to get it working.

If the CDJs’ audio interface works with Linux you could output to those instead and send their output to the mixer. That would have a little reduced sound quality compared to sending digital signals directly to the mixer, but practically I doubt that makes a big difference. However, Mixxx does not have a mapping for the CDJ 2000 (I presume you mean CDJ 2000 NXS? Or CDJ 2000 NXS2?). Work to reverse engineer the HID protocol of the CDJ 2000 NXS was started a while ago but the person who did that doesn’t have access to the device anymore.

First off,
Thank you for the speedy reply on this post. I find that an amazing asset already for this potential switch to the Mixxx World.

I am absolutely down to try and figure at least something for the push forward. I seriously don’t want to be faced with having to tuck my tail and walk right back into windows’s BS :laughing:

That had actually crossed my mind this morning as a probable temp solution, and using the mixer as just a MIDI controller for the faders & such That is to be tried in a bit

Unfortunately no, they are indeed the ole CDJ-2000s, and the DJM-S3. I do have a DJM-900NXS here but the USB-B malfunctioned in it around the beginning of the lock-down and I replaced the PCB board but had no luck with it being the solution as now the LFO Form LED just constantly blinks.

Hope this helps a bit.

You can try asking in the Zulip discussion about reverse engineering Pioneer gear. I do not know what distribution you are using, but you will need to learn how to compile a custom kernel for your distribution and apply patches to it if someone is willing to help you with this.

The DJM 900 NXS2 was one of the mixers that recently had support added to Linux, but I don’t know about the 900 NXS.

Pioneer is happy to use Linux on their hardware to reduce their development costs but they don’t even bother to make it work when plugged into another computer running Linux. :frowning_face:

̶Y̶e̶a̶h̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶P̶o̶p̶O̶S̶ ̶(̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶Z̶o̶r̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶N̶v̶i̶d̶i̶a̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶g̶r̶a̶v̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶[̶A̶d̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶i̶x̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶D̶J̶M̶-̶2̶5̶0̶M̶K̶2̶ ̶ ̶]̶(kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree) as a possible exploration. I just saw that you already had mentioned it in that discussion back in Jan.

Right!? The company as a whole has really been crap more and more since they got bought last year. I’m really hoping that the new company (Which happens to be a Printer Company :laughing: )