Help: Reloop Digital Jockey 2 MASTER Edition

I have just bought a Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Master Edition and installed the great Mixxx software, just to find out that this controller is not working and actually the Mixxx program is crashing when I just press one of the play buttons, with segmentation fault errors.

I have carefully read the FAQ, the Troubleshooting sections and tried all what was suggested there, without success. I have searched the forum for any entry about the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 “Master” Edition, but could only find references to the “Interface” and “Controller” editions. The mapping that is included in the program would seem to be precisely for those versions. When I bought this device, I asked the guy in the store what would be the difference between the “Controller” and the “Master” editions, and since the guy said that the differences were not relevant for the driver – “they use the same ASIO drivers” he said --, it would seem reasonable to assume that mapping would not be that different, although I am using Linux.

The programs breaks ugly: “PortMidi: `Buffer overflow’”, “QMutex: cv destroy failure” and finally “Segmentation fault” after many “Requested control does not exist” and ControlObject::getControl returning NULL" debug messages. Thus, I have been hesitant in consider that the problem is just that the mapping I am using (Reloop Digital Jockey 2) is completely wrong.

That’s why I joined this forum! I wonder if anybody could confirm that these are the kind of symptoms one get when using the wrong mapping. If that is the case, and if no one else has done it yet, then I am willing to try my best to learn how to create my own mapping for this device. I just do not want to start a project like that if that does not make sense at all.

[Note 1: I have installed the Traktor program in Windows and tested my new device and it works there, but I do not like Windows, much less for this kind of applications, where Windows could at any time sabotage my session with some stupid automatic update, antivirus garbage, etc.]
[Note 2: The Mixxx program looks much better than the Traktor thing anyway, so I look forward to start using Mixxx in my Linux box]

Here is my setup:

Computer:
Operating system: Linux Kubuntu Natty 11.04 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T; 3300MHz; 64bit
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
RAM: 8GiB (2x DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333MHz)
VGA controller: nVidia GeForce GT 440 - using the nVidia binary propietary driver, current version: 280.13-0ubuntu6.1

Mixxx: v1.10.1 installed from the Mixxx ppa

Controller:
Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Master Edition

Thanks a lot in advance !

What USB chipset does your computer have? At a terminal, type the following command: lspci |grep -i 'usb'
This sounds like it might possibly be related to issues the Linux kernel has with certain Intel USB chipsets, causing the controller to spontaneously disconnect (which looks to Mixxx like you unplugged it mid-set.)

In any case, Mixxx should not be crashing, so please try to collect a back trace when it does and attach that to a bug report. mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/creating_backtraces

Thank you Pegasus.
I have created a bug report :
bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1020338

There, I have attached 3 cases of backtrace: one from running “gdb mixxx”, and then two more with running “pasuspender mixxx” because I am running Kubuntu and as such I understand that there is a problem with pulseaudio and so the pasuspender is necessary. You can see the details in the bug report, including this:

$ lspci | grep -i 'usb' 00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller 00:16.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller 00:16.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller 04:00.0 USB Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller 05:00.0 USB Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller 06:00.0 USB Controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller

As mentioned in the bug report, I do not have the debug symbols of Mixxx. I hope, though, that what I have done to help is useful.

Once again, thank you for your prompt reply and good advice. I look forward for further ideas.

As established in the bug report, Mixxx crashes when the Midi Through port is enabled. The MIDI-through port is not a valid MIDI device. Since Ubuntu is somehow assigning the Reloop device to the Midi Through port 0, then no chance to see anything about the device interacting or not with Mixxx, because it crashes.

Appart from the identified bug, the big question now is:

Is the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Master Edition supported/identified in Linux? How could I tell without doubt?

Since the IE and the Controller Edition ARE supported by Mixxx and by Linux: Can anyone who has one of the Reloop devices working in Linux post here the output of the following commands:

lsusb -v amidi -L amidi -l aseqdump -l aconnect -i

This will be very important to understand how should it look, because at this moment I do not know what I should see.

There are users of this forum who have reported success with the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 , for example here:
mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f … loop#p7754

If you do ‘amidi -l’ and don’t see your device, then you need to load a driver for it. Mixxx can only see whatever MIDI devices ALSA can. If the device is HID, however, and you’re using MIxxx 1.11.0-beta, then it should show up anyway. If it still doesn’t on that version, then you will definitely need a driver. (Though we have one contributor currently working on raw (bulk) USB communication for controllers but that won’t be ready until at least Mixxx v1.12.0.)

Gday admin i’ve also tried a debug session in the terminal with
“sudo mixxx debug”
to see if the reloop controller can give a life signal but nothing to do.
what does it mean Raw or bulk usb communicator for controllers?
If there’s an easy guide on how to develop it on my own I don’t need to wait the 1.12.0 release.
Thanks for answers

./mixxx --controllerDebug

Causes Mixxx to display/log all of the controller data it receives and script functions it loads.
See http://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chapters/appendix.html#command-line-options

mmm before mapping with Mixxx I need that the reloop digital jockey 2 master edition is being detected by ALSA as a sound card in the pavuctrl.
I’ve found this guide but I don’t know if could help me or not:
makelinux.net/ldd3/chp-13-sect-3

What does "No Linux MIDI Driver" mean?
Is it impossible to make this device work with linux for hardware incompatibility or
there is no time/money for developers to work on this?
Please I need an answer.
Thanks

Some more infos are in the related bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1020338

Hi Donny,

That means that somebody needs to develop a MIDI driver for the reloop on Linux before Mixxx can use it. This typically involves reverse engineering the USB implementation to figure out how the device sends MIDI data over USB and then writing a Linux USB driver (or alternatively a user-space driver with libusb) that would present the device as a MIDI device.

It’s totally possible but nobody on the Mixxx team has this device to build the support for it. Mixxx is created by volunteers so in a sense there is no time or money for developers to work on this :slight_smile:. If you find someone who has the device and is good at writing Linux drivers then that might be a good person to convince to work on it :slight_smile:. Not having the device makes it very very difficult to do this work.