The default keyboard shortcuts are documented in the Mixxx Manual. A PDF of the Mixxx manual came with your install of Mixxx, however, you’ll find a full table of the keyboard shortcuts, as well as a printable keyboard overlay here: Mixxx Manual
The default keyboard shortcuts are defined in a text file which can be found at the following location:
- Linux: /usr/local/share/mixxx/keyboard/en_US.kbd.cfg
- Mac OS X: /Applications/Mixxx.app/Contents/Resources/keyboard/en_US.kbd.cfg
- Windows: \keyboard\en_US.kbd.cfg
Depending on your systems language settings, Mixxx might use a different file as default, e.g de_DE.kbd.cfg for German or es_ES.kbd.cfg for Spanish.
There are two ways to customize the keyboard mapping:
- Edit your systems default mapping file directly , e.g. en_US.kbd.cfg
- Copy the default shortcut file to the following location and rename to Custom.kbd.cfg :
- Linux: ~/.mixxx/Custom.kbd.cfg
- MacOSX: /Library/Application\ Support/Mixxx/Custom.kbd.cfg
- Windows: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mixxx\Custom.kbd.cfg
Then edit Custom.kbd.cfg and save the changes. On the next startup, Mixxx will check if Custom.kbd.cfg is present and load that file instead of the standard mapping file. This has the advantage that you can’t screw up and can always go back to the original mapping, just by deleting Custom.kbd.cfg
For a list of controls that can be used in the keyboard mapping, see the MixxxControls topic in the Mixxx Wiki.
You can share and download custom keyboard mappings in the Mixxx User customizations forum.