ION Discover DJ controller - possible future support?

Hi all!

I’m new to Mixx, but I’m liking what I see so far!

I’m a Traktor user normally, but I needed something that would run on my netbook - Mixx seemed to fit the bill quite nicely!

currently I’m trying to map an ION Discover DJ controller to Mixx. I was able to map it fairly easily in other software (even the jogs!), but I’m having difficulty mapping the unit in Mixxx.

would there be any possibility for future native support for this controller in the future? I see it as the next logical successor to the DM2 - cheap ($99) and super functional. The jog performance on the unit is amazing, and it has just the right amount of controls for basic mixing.

here’s a Skratchworx review and video demo of the unit:

review: skratchworx.com/reviews/discoverdj.php
demo video: youtube.com/watch?v=zEhDEZ6xi50

I plan on letting my nephews + nieces bang on the DDJ,netbook,a2dj and not be worried about them ruining more expensive equipment…

Hey Corp. Man, you’re making the rounds on all of the forums which makes me think that this controller must be all of that. :smiley:
I saw the Skratchworkz video and was pretty impressed. I’m going to pick up a couple today.

I also use Traktor as well as MIxxx but my understanding from nem0nic over on the Stanton boards is that Traktor doesn’t have absolute messaging for MIDI which makes fast platter spin-ups impossible. This is what excites me about Mixxx as I have seen some pretty decent scratch techniques performed with the SCS.3D controllers (which I own) so I can imagine what the Ion can do if and when Mixxx supports it.

Keep up the good mapping work. Looking forward to seeing the Ion supported under Mixxx someday.

Dudes, you can write support for any controller you want right now using the MIDI mapping file format info and MIDI scripting. mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/#editing … gs_scripts
You just have to have the controller in front of you to test with.

thanks for the info. I was wondering why the codes meant!

now i can get down to trying to map the jogs!

thanks again! :slight_smile:

Is it possible to use that controller with another one in the same time ?

I’ve already got a club oriented controller (KDJ500), it works well but has no sensitive jog wheels. My possible plan is to add a Ion discover in my setup to use only the jog wheels (and perhaps add a 4decks possibility for my mixes).

thanks

v1.8 will support multiple controllers.

Interesting :exclamation:

Waiting for the 1.8…I’ll configure my first controller :mrgreen:

You could actually configure them all separately right now in 1.7. Then when the 1.8 beta comes, you can load your mappings all at once.

If Pegasus or any other devs want to take a moment and correctly map the jog wheels for Ion Discover DJ and post the file, I’d gladly donate some $$$.

Mixvibes seems to barely support the included Cross software…horrible sounding scratching and you can’t even adjust the crossfader curve.

Traktor sounds better but the midi mapping for jog wheel encoders only has two size choices so there’s really bad sticker drift.

While I wouldn’t mind doing it, I don’t have the controller in front of me. Tweaking controller mappings is a tweak-test-tweak-test cycle. That and Mixxx doesn’t yet have sample-accurate scratching for controllers so you’ll still see sticker drift until we add that. (Maybe for 1.9.)

@ coolout… what OS are you running Mixxx on?

I just received my DDJ unit and mixxx on my Linux distro isn’t seeing it. If I go to midi devices I get the “there are no midi devices available” message. (I’m using Mixxx 1.7.1).

If I could get the controller up and running I’d love to test out your midi mapping.

I’m running WinXP.

Thanks for the quick response and real talk. The folks on the Mixvibes forum basically told me not to expect the IDD or included software to usable in any real DJ context, which I take as them saying for the most part “fuckoff”.

For that reason alone I’m probably taking it back and splurging on a Vestax VCI…and I’ll never buy or suggest a Mixvibes product…ever.

It’s a shame that accurate MIDI control hasn’t been a priority in Mixxx.

I could see Mixxx gaining more popularity and market share through that route than folks that already own Serato or Traktor Scratch setups.

A hardware manufacturer could easily make a cheap midi DJ solution, perhaps even Linux-based, that featured Mixxx as it’s software front end.

don’t tel me it doent work in linux, mine should be here Friday. damn!!!

:wink: Nah, it works fine. My system wasn’t recognizing it because I wasn’t loading the usb audio module.

I’m running PCLOS which is a Mandrake offshoot, and for my system I just needed to modprobe snd-usb-audio, plugin the IDDJ, start Mixxx and it was there.

With the midi learn feature I was able to get about 70 - 80% of the features to work. Jogwheel features aren’t there for me yet… but then, again, I’ve only spent 30 minutes playing around with it in mixxx at most.

I’m hesitant to dip my toes into the scripting language… but if a group of us put our heads together and jointly worked on the code for this controller, we could probably get the jogwheels working just fine.

@coolout… I’d consider the IDDJ a solid secondary unit. You could certainly use it as a primary controller depending on the type of mixing style you have. (I’ve been using the bcd2000 for paid gigs over two and a half years now… so running with a controller that others scoff at isn’t a big deal to me. The main thing is will you be able to perform well, and will the client be happy with what you do. Again, depending on your style and the types of gigs you’re doing the IDDJ might do you fine).

I guess the version of mixvibes cross that ships with the IDDJ is okay… if you’re into scratching its algorithm doesn’t produce a good sound. If you’re a mix dj, then it’s probably fine.

I hear you about the VCI-100 that was the unit I had my eye on–and will probably still get and eventually use as my primary controller–but once I’ve got the IDDJ properly mapped it’ll serve me well.

-skizz

i plan on using the iddj in combination with with my bcd3000, fcb2000 and my mixman dm2.

the image in my head of the BCD3000 with a DM2 and a IDDJ on either side, sitting a dj table, over
the fcb1010 on the floor, my computer crowning the setup- sitting on a laptop stand. man! it gets
me siked.

and knowing i spent less than $400 on the whole setup (minus the laptop) is icing on the cake.
there will be no part of the program i won’t be able to control from midi. thank u mixxx for
being free and open source.

my uncle used to spend hours beat-mixing and juggling for practice in his room back in Jersey
when i was a kid in the 70’'s early 80’s. i wanted to do it too but 3000 grand for a decent setup
always seemed so far away.

now i can practice till i’m good enough to do parties or till i go def. : :smiley:

it’ll be so sweet once 1.8 is out. till then i can combine the midi out in jack as one controller. when i get it i’ll send you my script.

ok, it came early.

after paying with it i now know all it’s midi-outputs.

The ION Discover D.J. Midi messages.

The platters are weird.

They seem to send a continuous midi message that changes when the capacitive switch is touched.

The continuous messages are:

platter left / touched
type: 1
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:77/25
channel:0

platter right/touched
type:1
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:78/24

but then again maybe its not a continuous message.
maybe the capacitive switch sends one midi message and
movement of the platter sends another.

the rest of the buttons and knobs are more straight forward.

Left Pitch – up/down
type:2
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:67/68

Right Pitch – up/down
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:69/79

load a button
(cc=1 note=2)
number:75

load b button
(cc=1 note=2)
number:52

left trbl/bas/vol
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:16/20/8

right trbl/bas/vol
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:17/21/9

left sync/rev/cue/play.stop
(cc= 1 note=2)
number:64/51/59/74

right sync/rev/cue/play.stop
(cc=1 note=2)
number:71/60/66/76

Fader
(cc=1 note=2)
number:10

master vol
(cc=1 note=2)
number:23

scratch…search button
(cc=1 note=2)
number:72

browse button/pushed
type:1/2
(cc=1 note=2)
number:26/79

having no luck with the platters using the midi wizard. guess
I’ll have to take a look at the xponent.midi.xml to see how
they handled “touch” maybe I’ll find some clues.

tell you more later.

got this from rryan @ #mixxx,

man i’m tring to get ideas no how i would map the the touch sensitive platters on my new Ion Discover DJ
(07:09:43 AM) mrthraz1: was hoping i could find some one here with a touch sensitive controller to point me in the right direction

(07:17:51 AM) rryan: mrthraz1: there are two controls that are used for touch-sensitive stuff (07:18:01 AM) rryan: I believe the xponent works like a normal jog
(07:18:13 AM) rryan: but when you touch it it sends note on/off for another 'wheel touched' command (07:18:40 AM) rryan: so … we have these controls
(07:18:43 AM) rryan: wheel_touch_sensor (07:18:46 AM) rryan: and wheel_touch_switch
(07:20:05 AM) rryan: if both of them are set (not sure why its both) then that pauses the playback and sets the platter in vinyl-emulation mode (07:20:06 AM) rryan: (set to 1)
(07:20:29 AM) rryan: not sure how the ion's touch platters work, but if it's similar then you shouldn't have much trouble (07:20:46 AM) rryan: if it isn’t as similar, then you may have to emulate it with a script

@mrthraz: Awesome work on getting the midi messages. I was going to investigate them myself since Ion’s documentation doesn’t include them.

Yeah, the midi wizard was straight forward until it came to the platters.

-skizz

i found this in the xml for the xponent

[code]−

[Channel1]
wheel
0xB0
wheel

[Channel1]
wheel_touch_sensor
0x90
button

[Channel1]
wheel_touch_sensor
0x80
button

[Channel1]
wheel_touch_switch
0x90
button

[Channel1]
wheel_touch_switch
0x80
button

[/code]

i wonder why two “switch” and two “sensor” lines were needed for the same jog wheel?

yeah its definitely not a continuous message from the platters.

i just had it in my lap when i was snooping the usb and my shaking leg was moving the platters.