macOS sound config "Unanticipated Host Error"

After using Mixxx for years I recently updated my Mac OS and ran the newest version of Mixxx without issues at a few Giggs.
Preparing for my next gigg all of a sudden I get an ‘unanticipated host error’ with both the ‘built in output’ settings and the ‘pioneer ddj sx’ settings…
I had to cancel my gigg because of this… not cool :-/
Anyone knows what’s up and what I need to do to fix this?
Thanks!

Did you maybe change the sound API by accident?
Or something sound-related in macOS?

You can reset the Sound Hardware page to its default values, button is at the bottom next to Okay, Cancel…
If even that doesn’t help you can delete the sound config file, see 16.6. The Mixxx Settings Directory — Mixxx User Manual and start over like if you just installed Mixxx (all other settings are unaffected).

Did you maybe change the sound API by accident?; NO

Or something sound-related in macOS?; Not sure? The OS has been updating a lot lately…

You can reset the Sound Hardware page to its default values, button is at the bottom next to Okay, Cancel… Doesn’t work.

If even that doesn’t help you can delete the sound config file, see 16.6. The Mixxx Settings Directory — Mixxx User Manual and start over like if you just installed Mixxx (all other settings are unaffected).

Did that too, doesn’t work, same error

To me it’s not clear what the cause might be. Searching the forum for “Unanticipated host error” indicates it could be

• changed/reset devices permissions (especially after you mentioned macOS updates)
  • another app trying to access the sound devices at the same time
  • you need to increase the audio buffer size in Mixxx

Anyhow, could you share the Mixxx log file of a session with the error?

Where do I find the log?

maybe the second link in my previous post, named “Finding the Mixxx log file”?

after a call with apple and a few different resets and reboots it works all of a sudden!

okay.
To provide a starting point for others:
what exactly did you/Apple reset?

shift control alt startup
control alt command + P + R during startup
Safe boot (start up then shift)

For those Mac users who don’t know:

shift - control - option (also alt on some keyboards). Resets the SMC (System Management Controller)
a system that controls hardware, like fans, power, display, ports etc.

1. Start or restart your Mac and immediately press and hold shift-control-option on the left side of your keyboard and then press and hold the power button at the same time. Hold the three keys and the power button for 10 seconds .
  2. Release all the keys .
  3. Press the power button to turn your MacBook on.

option - command - P - R resets the NVRAM and PRAM. Start your Mac and press the keys, release the keys after the second restart - if your Mac has start up chimes, release after the second chimes are heard.

Safe Mode. Start your Mac and hold ‘Shift’. Release the shift key when the login window appears.

Credits: All the keyboard shortcuts you can use when starting up your Mac | iMore

For more info, google any of the above.

2 Likes