Mixxx for broadcast radio

Hiyall,
I spent an hour with Owen on Zoom while he configured my Mixxx and explained how it works. It quickly became evident that it is difficult if not impossible to make it work the way I want. Furthermore Owen recommended that I buy and use a separate USB mixer so that it ‘flows’.
My potential workflow:
1.Select tracks and place them in number order. Edit until I get how I want them played. Tracks will NEVER be repeated over more than one show therefore a sophisticated library is unnecessary.
2. Place all in a folder named: date of broadcast on Desktop
3. Copy all tracks to Broadcast Mixxx’
4. The other channel then becomes the microphone
5. Automatic recording of both channels to another desktop folder in the codec of my choice. The result it one file of the whole program.
Further suggestions:
6.The existing 4 channels could become Music tracks, Promos, Main Mic, Guest Mic.
7. The fader area needs to be substantially larger but (in my case) very much simpler as most of those bells and whistles are just not needed.
8. The current library area needs much less info but could therefore contain 2 columns.

I broadcast from a middle-size city station where there are 110 producer/presenters. We would all LOVE what I outlined above, particularly at the moment with Covid-19 being an issue. Furthermore we have several presenters with physical disabilities who would be overjoyed to use this at home. Imagine the impact that Broadcast Mixxx would have on remote country stations with even-more-remote presenters!

Owen tells me that Mixxx is a labor of love. Perhaps some of that love could be diverted to Broadcast Mixxx? I have no command line skill however I would be happy to be part of a team where my 35 years’ radio experience is called on.

1 Like

We do have a lot of radio users, and we know that Mixxx is not well-optimized for a radio broadcasting workflow. The issue you mentioned, that the microphone input cannot be mapped to the primary Mixer, is a good observation.

We’ve been under the impression that the existing skins were “good enough” for the broadcast use-case, but it sounds like that isn’t so. Creating a broadcast-specific skin would solve many of the issues without requiring a lot of reworking of the underlying code. Unfortunately we haven’t had a lot of developer interest in creating such a skin, and the burden to maintain skins is quite high so we are hesitant to undertake it.

It might help to make some mockups and photoshops of what such a thing would look like. Once we have a design we can think about how hard it would be to implement.

https://www.rode.com/rodecasterpro?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rcp_reactive_search_ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIutvS84am7AIVgTgrCh0uSwfNEAAYASAAEgJNAPD_BwE

Owen,

A product was just released that is almost exactly what is needed. I have included a link above.

Peter

Owen,

My mistake!

What I sent is the ‘top half’.

A simple library would be the bottom half. This library is simply a holding place for recording the current program and does not need to be saved or used in other ways.

Peter

Owen,

On 2nd thoughts, the top half should be nothing but a mixer with 4 vertical faders. 2 should be mics plus music and jingles.

Peter

@PeterLinu

That looks totally feasible, thanks for your input!

Regarding the Rodecaster interface, would you mind posting a simple drawing of how you imagine the entire Mixxx surface then? Including maybe a jingles/promos grid and all information you need during broadcasting.

I don’t quite understand that workflow:

How do you have your music organized on your computer? How do you pull them into the preparation list? (the Playlists view is for exactly that purpose: a sorted, rearrangable list of tracks)

The good thing abou the Mixxx library is the play count for each track (a column in the main tracks tabel). You could add all your music folders to the Mixxx library and would easily see which you already played.
Select a track and expand the History view on the left, and any playlists containing that track are highlighted.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

I would have got this however it is only available for Windows and I want it for Linux.

2 more channels for output > record would be better.

All of the music and jingles are better staying on the computer.

Files could be drag & dropped onto each fader when necessary.

Peter

Giving my 2ct - this is what you can already do with Mixxx.

1. Create a playlist in Mixxx and store your music for the show in there. You can organize the complete playlists in Mixxx and if you like it the way you organized then …
  2. … you can export the playlist including music files to a directory of your choice
  3. ?! It would be in Mixxx already - ready to be played
  4. You can set the channel of your sound device to microphone input and use that or you plug the microphone into the controller (if you use any)
  5. I record my shows just pushing the record button in Mixxx which records the Master output. The default directory and encoding options can be set in the preferences
  6. I’d use 2 channels for music and promos and 2 mic channels for the 2 mics. This is imo the only regression in Mixxx that you cannot link the mic input to a line directly but with a 4 channel controller you could have channel 3 mapped to Main mic volume and channel fader 4 to guest mic volume. But you would need to change default controller mappings
  7. simplified version of skin could be made as suggested earlier by the developers
  8. You can set your library as you like it. suppress the columns that you don’t need and sort them in a way you like it.

For jingles etc you should use the Sampler buttons.

So in principal - except for a simplified skin - i think honestly all is possible already. I just started a Video tutorial session (1st one is done) and this weekend my plan is to go through the preferences and skin settings. So I gonna have several of your topics covered next week in a video tutorial. Not your specific use case but in principal.
Cheers! OsZ

1 Like

EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR VIDEOS.

I don’t agree with some of what you say however I’m too new to be taken seriously. We can speak following your videos.

Two other gents have already replied and I think they will have the ultimate answer.

My position is to create something that looks like a broadcast mixer rather than having to modify existing fields.

Cheers,

Peter

okay - my bad - thought you are missing functionality reading your first post but instead is the skin that you’d like to have adopted to your needs. So as Ronso already asked, a sketch of how you would need the skin look like is appreciated. Cheers!

Check this out.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

Yeah, I tried to point out that the ‘played only once’ scenario is very well covered by Mixxx, as well as the other requirements @PeterLinu mentioned.

I guess it’s just a matter of “where you come from”, read: how do you usually organize & listen to your music. IF all that happened in a file browser hierarchy and some media player until now, then I imagine the transition to a DJ library to be rather uncomfortable.
Yet I’m sure we can optimize the flow for broadcasting, in addition to creating an adequate skin.

Hi Peter! Here is a basic sketch of what I think you were describing:

The mixing controls are all along the top where they can be bigger, and all next to each other. Underneath are all of the audio sources – decks, microphones, AUX. This way the microphones and AUX inputs have big sliders like the regular decks. You don’t need waveforms, so those are gone. The master area has precise dB meters for measuring output.

As for his library workflow, Peter and I talked about using Playlists to organize his music. He would prefer to delete files off disk when the show is done and load new files for the next show, so the library would only ever have the latest show’s files. I tried to encourage him to use Playlists instead, which support ordering by number. Creating a new playlist for each show would work with his workflow. I think Samplers could be used for the jingles / station announcements since they are used a lot.

Owen,

Thanx for the drawing. You’re very helpful in distilling my ideas.

1. All 4 faders should be stereo. I have cables that split and allow me to run ‘double mono’. It saves having to deal with it at the station.

2. There is no necessity for a library at all. I create a folder for all the tracks I want to play and need to ‘process’ the files in there anyway (transcoding to mp3 320CBR). Also editing length, fading, compression, etc.

3. I could then drag&drop the files in that folder to the appropriate fader one at a time as needed.

4. It would be handy to have compression on the 2 mic faders.

5. Meters are necessary on all inputs as well as output.

Cheers,

Peter

Owen,

I forgot; I obviously need a stereo output (record) fader with meter. The result of this output would go to another folder on the desktop called: ;today’s show mp3’

Cheers,

Peter

@owilliams - your sketch is nice. Anyhow, as Peter now also asked for compression then a filter section should be made available to apply compression or other filters to the channels (incl microphone)

I have uploaded the video tutorial for basic set up (preferences, skin and library) today covering several of Peters functional points in general. Hope this is somehow useful.

Cheers!

1 Like

The result of this output would go to another folder on the desktop called: ;today’s show mp3’

This function is already covered in Mixxx and I also show how to set it up inside the video. It is the master output that will be recorded so all your music, samplers (jingles), microphone etc. all in one file.

Awesome, nice to see you keep your pace and do one video after another!
Thanks or that!

1 Like

This is what I envisaged.
PeterLinu Mixer.pdf (358.2 KB)