Mixxx losing audio input

Mixxx 2.3.0-beta (but problem also occurs with 2.2)

Windows 10, latest patches.

Windows WDM-KS API.

USB connection to Allen & Heath mixer, providing MIC input and main audio output.
PC onboard audio providing Monitor output
VB-Cable audio virtual loopback interface to connect other apps to Mixxx aux input.

When MIXXX starts, it does not recognise the MIC input on USB. Pressing “Query Devices” > “Apply” fixes this and things seem OK.
(I can live with that!)

Randomly, MIXXX will lose the MIC input. “Microphone (USB Audio codec)” still appears in preferences > sound > input", but no audio received.
Query Devices > Apply will temporarily fix it.

Any ideas where to look?

Thanks

maybe a usb power issue?
had similiar with a USB controller that would disappear (and Mixxx freeze) but be available soon after.

I don’t think it’s a USB power issue - it only loses the mic input. The output (on the same device) keeps going.

But trying a different USB port now - USB2 rather than 3.

Edit: Different USB makes no difference. Time to start looking at logfiles…

Some more detail:

Start Mixxx. It doesn’t immediately recognise any audio devices.
Preferences > Sound > Query Devices > Apply

Now sees all audio devices.

logfile says:

Debug [Main]: SoundManager::setupDevices()
Debug [Main]: SoundDevicePortAudio::open() “SoundDeviceId(Speakers (Realtek HD Audio output), 22)”
Debug [Main]: framesPerBuffer: 1024
Debug [Main]: Requested sample rate: 44100 Hz, latency: 23.22 ms
Debug [Main]: Output channels: 2 | Input channels: 0
Debug [Main]: Opening stream with id 22
Debug [Main]: Opened PortAudio stream successfully… starting
Debug [Main]: PortAudio: Started stream successfully
Debug [Main]: Actual sample rate: 44100 Hz, latency: 24.3084 ms
Debug [Main]: SoundDevicePortAudio::open() “SoundDeviceId(Speakers (USB Audio CODEC), 25)”
Debug [Main]: framesPerBuffer: 1024
Debug [Main]: Requested sample rate: 44100 Hz, latency: 23.22 ms
Debug [Main]: Output channels: 2 | Input channels: 0
Debug [Main]: Opening stream with id 25
Debug [Main]: Opened PortAudio stream successfully… starting
Debug [Main]: PortAudio: Started stream successfully
Debug [Main]: Actual sample rate: 44100 Hz, latency: 23.22 ms
Debug [Main]: SoundDevicePortAudio::open() “SoundDeviceId(Microphone (USB Audio CODEC), 26)”

A few minutes afterwards, the mic stops working. The audio outputs remain OK.

And no new entries in the log file.
Is it possible to turn up the audio debug level?

Just as a test (as I doubt this will be convenient to you), can you try with a jack mic instead of an USB one?
It could be USB related. “Recent” computers (starting about 7 years ago) only have 1 USB root, the other ports are only duplicated USB from the root. It’s a bit like old serial ports (Com 1, Com 2, Com 3 and com 4), as you only had realy 2 ports (Com 1 and 2), the other were duplicated.
USB signal can therefore be mixed-up (I won’t enter the technical part but this happens!).
If you get the same issue with Jack/integrated mic, you then have a config issue.
If you don’t get any issue, then this is logical that there is no new entry, as it is only the signal that doesn’t reach the device.

Is there any other software running, or any media device daemons running in the background with a try icon only, that might scan audio devices and capture those?

Did you try another sound API? (don’t know what available on Win)

I have now changed the audio buffer settings from 23.2ms to 46.4, and it appears to have been stable for the last 12 hours.

I spoke too soon. Problem is still there. :frowning:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, if I use Windows DirectSound, the mic is OK. However, the latency is too high for it to be usable.

Tried using a different USB mixer (but still the generic windows USB audio drivers. Same problem.