Mixxx on Linux Mint, Music on Synology Server

I have Mixxx installed on a new Linux install. When I go to add my library the Synology Server does not show up as an option, even though it’s a mounted volume. How do I get Mixxx to see the mounted volumes? I can’t type the path, which is apf://server/music/ I and only click at things.

first thing I would try is to create a link in /home/Music
(though I don’t know if and which kind of network shares Mixxx supports)

If the files are accessible on a file system supported by the OS and Qt it is supposed to work, otherwise not.

Only local files are supported, the audio files are opened using simple file operations behind the scenes. If the OS is not able to mount the volume into the local file system it won’t work.

The files are mounted on a network drive. I can work with them in file manager. the network drive is on my local network.

You need to mount them locally into the file system.

Yes, they are mounted. I switched from Mint Cinnamon to Ubunto and I can see them in that OS. mixxx on mint would not allow me to “see” the mounted drives.

Are they mounted as if they are local drives, though? The graphical file manager can use some behind the scenes wizardry to access the network drives (especially if you’re accessing them through apf://… - that’s not a local mount), but Mixxx cannot access those.

As @ronso said when you first asked the question, it will need to be mounted locally - for example, in /home//mount/ or similar. Are you familiar enough with Linux/Unix to do this?

1 Like

To be clear: they are (probably) not mounted.
Your desktop environment just acts as if they were mounted in an attempt to mimic certain operating systems.

Mixxx can handle any OS mounted filesystem. I think on windows it might be possible to use UNC to dynamically refer to samba shares on the network, as that is handled on the OS level, although Microsoft might have patched it out of the OS as a lot of their other software could not handle it.

To determine if they are mounted, the most secure way is to type cat /proc/mounts .
On linux you can create an on-demand mountpoint (automount). I usually do that in /etc/fstab and let systemd handle the mounting for local and remote filesystems.

And to be clear: Linux does not have drives… there is just one single filesystem namespace. Anything within that filesystem namespace (starts with / ) is accessible by any application that uses files.
So if it doesn’t start with / it’s not a mounted path.
And for the record: on windows you also have to map drives. as C: is actually a mapping of a current working directory on /dev/something/something, or in windows talk \dev\something\something .

Anyway: your uri starts with afp: so I recommend using a user space based filesystem driver to mount afp drives on linux. Probably webdav would suffice too, but the most common used webdav filesystem driver is bad word.
If possible, use sshfs. I can really recommend sshfs, as it does everything right. I used it often to get mixxx to use filesystems on the other side of a firewall. Unlike the most common webdav filesystem driver, when mixxx asks to read 64k, it won’t download the whole file, but just read 64k.
For webdav you have to compile stuff to get this to work:

I haven’t found any other webdav driver that does not download the whole file (60+MB) in a cache of 128MB, hence evicting the other song before the next song is in.

Anyway, good luck on your new endeavors on linux. It’s quite simple once you get the gist of it ;-).

2 Likes

I did get this to mount as you describe it and I can see the files now. I used “mount” command. I also switched to Mixxx 2.3 for another issue I had (connecting to stream servers did now work in 2.2.3 due to a bad libshout). But now I’m still having an issue with it not reading the whole library. When I rescan it only brings some of the songs, even though I can see all of the missing songs on my mac version of mixxx. I even moved the songs to the local device, but it still won’t scan all of them into the library.
Linux might be quite simple once you ‘get the gist’ but it seems that’s going to take me a few years. I’m not really interested in knowing how to tinker with an incomplete operating system, I just want to play music.

If you “see” the files listed it doesn’t imply that they are readable due to permission issues. Try to open them with a media player from their mounted location.

What file types are affected?

Which Linux distribution do you use? Linux Mint, got it :wink: Only the Mixxx packages for Ubuntu (Mixxx PPA) and Fedora (RPM Fusion) are maintained by us.

sorry, not on mint, now, switched to ubuntu on gnome. and yes, the files are perfectly readable in the other players, and many of the files in the library work fine, but they are not ALL in the library. I thought this might have something to do with beta 2.3 unstable, so I’ve tried to remove and install 2.24 but the instructions to install from the PPA gives me 2.3 (tried twice) so maybe if I run the stable version, but I don’t know how to get it, since the download page provides only the beta

EDIT: All my other usages of mixxx haven’t had a problem with M4A files, and that seems to be the issue, here. the beta version is not supporting them and I have a lot! Clearly because it’s a better format. I can’t seem to download version 2.24 of Mixxx for linux. So I would like help with one of two things: the M4A plugin for 2.3 or a download link to the stable version which hopefully provides this?

There are no plugins in 2.3 anymore.

M4A files in Debian/Ubuntu are now decoded using the FFmpeg libraries. If the Mixxx version is built with FFmpeg enabled it should work out of the box.

Please attach a log. The start of the log files lists all available decoders and the supported file extensions. You could also check it yourself.

It’s a bit too windy out to be chopping down trees, and I’m not sure how I’d attach it to my computer if I did have a log.
(sorry, I don’t know what log to get, or where to get it; all I know at this point is I can’t install sudo apt-get install -y libmp4v2-2 because it can’t be located. E: Unable to locate package libmp4v2-2
)
I installed Mixxx from the download page, asking for a stable version, but got the unstable one.

I did check into ffmpeg:
$ sudo apt install ffmpeg
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
ffmpeg is already the newest version (7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

This probably should all be on a new topic like "
AAC / MP4 files not supported on mixxx 2.3 downloaded from mixxx website with apt-get

It looks like the PPA version of Mixxx for Ubuntu 20.04 has not been built with FFmpeg enabled as supposed to be. libmp4v2 + faad2 is no longer available for 20.04.

This is a serious issue that needs to be fixed.

Installing FFmpeg manually will not help if it was not enabled at build time.

I didn’t specifically install FFMPEG. But as you stated, the PPA does not work.
Meanwhile I haven’t got any idea how to ‘compile’ mixxx. or replace the one I have. (or compile anything for that matter) or where to get the software that does that.
Is it possible to have the serious error fixed so that I can try again to get mixxx working?

this was especially confusing because I have no problem playing AAC/MP4 files on any other program.