Mixxx skipping during live broadcast

Hi, I’ve using Mixxx for a while but have one reoccurring issue with the audio and looking for any help to try and resolve it.

The problem occurs whilst doing a live broadcast and I have to swap between applications. Often when putting Mixxx in the background, or back into the foreground there is a very clear audio skip.

If Mixxx is just in the foreground then I do not have the issue.

I have looked at the latency settings but these do not solve the problem.

I am wondering if it is a memory issue - I am currently using a Legion Laptop , i5 processor and 8gig ram. Is 8gig enough?

Many thanks

8Gig is more than enough for Mixxx. how much memory is left / used by other apps?

Before you answer the question I’m going to ask, I want to point out that what YOU hear through your speakers or headphones is NOT what the streaming listeners necessarily will hear. An audible skip on a track that’s loaded into a deck should definitely NOT happen, especially on the system you describe. Is this reliable behavior? Does it go away or get better with no other applications running? If the problem happens reliably, then its almost certainly CPU starvation, since mixxx loads the entire track (it won’t be disk io). What os are you running? How many cores does your i5 have?

Thank you for your replies . I am running Second Life whilst streaming which is quite memory hungry and on checking it is running at 90% memory usage. I will upgrade to 16 gig.

It is only when moving between apps does the skipping occur - runs fine otherwise. I have had reports that it is audible on the broadcast stream as well.

Processor Details

Intel Core i5
Cores 4
Threads 8
Name Intel Core i5
Code Name Comet Lake
Package Socket 1440 FCBGA
Technology 14nm
Specification Intel Core i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model 5
Extended Model A5
Stepping 2
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Stock Core Speed 2500 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz
Average Temperature 46 °C
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 256 KBytes
L3 Unified Cache Size 8192 KBytes

Running WIndows 10 Home 64bit 21H1

Cheers!

upgrading RAM doesn’t hurt, though I doubt it’s a memory issue, rather an issue with CPU or driver.
Is SecondLife able to emit audio whilst minimized/in the background?

Thanks for the response - Yes it does but I always have it muted when DJing

I also use a usb dragonfly cobalt dac for audio output

Hi,

I had a problem with Mixxx’s stream having momentary mutes during broadcasts, which I wasn’t hearing on the Mixxx output. I switched to using an external streamer (butt) and the problem has gone away. I once went back to using Mixxx’s internal streaming but straight away people started complaining of the glitching again. This may not be the cause of your problems, but it might be worth trying an external streaming application just as a test.

–Dave

Might try upping your bit rate, but not over 128. I dont think sl can handle more than 128 (i use 96 to stream in sl). However that probably wouldnt effect what you hear directly from mixxx, just the output to sl. Just a thought :slight_smile: