Newbee Question: Numark or Hercules device

Hi Mixxx Folks,

nice to see that there is such a active community. I’m noob to djing with controller and mixxx.

Can you help me in descision making for bying my first controller? Maybe someone has experience with one of the two following devices?

Numark Mixtrack Platinum FX
Hercules DJControl Inpulse 500

I’m interested in any expertise regarding to start on. I.e. such points like the current state of mappings and usability for beginner.

Thanks

Unfortunately neither of these controllers have mappings that are included in Mixxx yet. You’ll have to read through the forum threads for each one to figure out what the state of the mapping is. We don’t include mappings in Mixxx until they are both completely implemented and documented so users like you can make an informed decision about what to buy. If you’re able to help finish the mappings for either of those so we can include it, that would be great! We do have a mapping for the Pioneer DDJ-400 included in Mixxx. You could also look for a bit older controller such as a Numark Mixtrack Pro 3/Platinum (before the current “FX” ones). For a little higher price, the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2 is a good option too.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s really a tricky descision. On the one hand I’m looking for a modern device that’s running on linux and windows with mixxx and other DAW’s. I have settings with other DAW’s on both os’s. And on the other hand I’m trying to by such a tool without any hands on and haptical feedback.

The “Numark Mixtrack Platinum” is mapped. Yes. If I’m looking for a used one, I have to paid almost the same as for a new FX. That’s quite a bit silly. Never mind.
The “Traktor S2 MK 3” is not for me. The S4 MK3 looks for me much better in quality and usability.
The “Pioneer DDj-400” can be good alternative. I keep an eye on it.
But maybe it’s better to start with the “Hercules Inpulse 500” and trying to help others the mapping done?

Can anybody tell me about the new Hercules series? Or do I have to wait till after the corona rooner to test one?

If you’re willing to map it yourself, you can basically buy any Controller that is MIDI and USB audio class compliant. And contributing a mapping that other users also benefit from is actually one of the best ways to help the Mixxx project.

2 Likes

I recommend watching video reviews of controllers. with those from DigitalDJTips I often get a good impression of the layout and the size, and Phil often has an eye on build quality himself :+1:

Thanks. I will try out this channel.

Yeah. This is probably the best way for me in the mixxx project to paticipate.