NEWBIE Needs Help!

Hello! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I’m having a couple of issues. First, when I tested everything live, I was told that no one could hear me. Why is this? Second, when I use my headphone (as monitor), my voice sounds like it’s dragging. Any idea why this is happening?

Hej @RollTideAlum

Could you describe your setup a bit more?
Did you read the manual? Especially https://www.mixxx.org/manual/latest/en/chapters/getting_started.html#configuring-sound-input-and-output

Hello. Thanks for getting back to me. I’m working with an online radio station that’s using Mixxx.

I have a Pyle USB podcasting microphone. Is this part of my problem, maybe?

As for my second issue, when I click on the satellite icon to enable live broadcasting, I’m told that I can’t be heard.

As @ronso said, can you describe your full setup? Do you have a controller? What sound cards are you using and how are they configured in the preferences? Before trying to get broadcasting to work, make sure that you can hear everything correctly using regular speaker output. It should be possible to use a USB microphone, but there will be timing differences between your microphone and your other sound cards. This is unavoidable and could be the cause of the “dragging”.

Hello. Pardon me for not being familiar with the technical aspects of my problem. I’m not sure what you mean by my setup. I’ll be using my MacBook Air to broadcast a radio show.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have a Pyle USB microphone and a pair of headphones. Per the MIXXX manual, a USB mic will have latency. In my traditional radio broadcasting, I’m accustomed to using a mic and headphones as a monitor.

What other kind of mic do you recommend? Again, thanks for your help.

Hi

I was going to ask the same question, I have set something up for a friend to radio broadcast - short of him getting a new laptop to eliminate the latency, is there any USB type device he can get to minimise the latency? Would something like a Focusrite interface help him with an XLR plugged into it, with his headphones plugged into the laptop to hear the output of everything?

1 Like

Hello
‘I’m working with an online radio station that’s using Mixxx.’
Do you mean that you are using a Mixxx setup which is installed in the station ? Does this setup work for other people ?
Or are you bringing your own computer where you installed Mixxx on your own ?

Hello,

Can you post a screen shot of your audio settings in mixxx?

When you start streaming, do you see the antenna icon go green? Can you verify that you actually connect to your server?

Are you hearing your mix during all of this?

Nat

My fellow DJ’s and I are broadcasting remotely from home. We’ve each downloaded MIXXX to our laptops. We allowed Live365 to download it for us.

I think I’m the only one with this issue. As I mentioned before, I have a 2020 MacBook Air. I prefer to use my headphones as my monitor, much like I’ve done at traditional radio stations.

I purchased a brand new Pyle Podcasting USB mic. When I tested everything, my voice drags and echos.

Again, per the MIXXX manual, USB microphones are not recommended because of the latency issues.

If anyone has the same setup, what mic are you using or suggest to alleviate the issue? I really need help.

Hello
Did you try increasing the audio buffer setting in mixxx ?
You might also check soundcard synchronization mode

Is your mic correctly set as audio input - microphone 1, and your monitor headphone set as audio output - headphone ?

How do you broadcast ? Do you use mixxx integrated broadcast function ?

‘Latency issue’ would mean that you hear your voice several milliseconds after you talk. If your voice has echo, that does not look like a latency issue.

If your laptop has an integrated small mic, or a headset, you could try to use it and check if the issue is the same. That would confirm if the issue comes from your particular mic model.

I hear my voice a few seconds after talking. Will a USB interface help alleviate this? It’s a suggestion from an IT person at a music store.

https://manual.mixxx.org/2.2/en/chapters/microphones.html

1 Like

If you hear your voice few seconds later from your streaming host/server thats a normal, because of somekind of buffering of streaming server.