NI Kontrol Z1 freezes with Mixxx 2.2.4 on new Ryzen PC - Does the 2.3 beta fix it?

Hi guys,

I wasn’t exactly sure about the thread title, but it sums up my problem pretty good. The whole story is a bit longer though:

I recently needed to move whole my DJ setup to a new platform due to a hardware defect and settled for a Windows MiniITX system with a Gigabyte B450 motherboard, a Ryzen 3 3200G and the Native Instruments Kontrol Z1 as USB controller.
Latest Windows 10x64, BIOS and chipset drivers installed.
I downloaded Janek’s HID script for the Kontrol Z1 which by itself does work great.

However the Z1 always completely froze in Mixxx after a few minutes and manipulating a few controls, causing Mixxx not to recognize any controls or updating the LEDs on the Z1. The sound interface keeps working in that case.
I also could handle all controls in Mixxx via mouse and keyboard after the HID froze, but when I wanted to close Mixxx, the program froze as well and I had to kill the process via task manager.

I then tried Mixxx 2.2.4 and the Z1 on an older computer with Win10x64 and an i7-4770k / Z87 platform and that seemed to work without those freezes which is why I wrote the Ryzen 3200G thingy in the title.

After that, I updated Mixxx on my new Ryzen platform to the beta version 2.3.0 and suddenly everything worked flawlessly.

Can anyone confirm that some change in the beta version does fix my funny problem here? I already searched the bug tracker myself, but couldn’t find anything.

Btw, I’m not saying 100% that the processor or the platform is responsible for the freezes. That’s just how far I could isolate the problem.
Is it possible that some other devices like keyboard or mouse can be responsible? I didn’t swap those to my older computer.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

I don’t use windows but I have no issues neither on my Ryzen 4800U laptop nor on my Ryzen 2700X desktop on Linux.

There was a deadlock when reading and writing HID simultaneously that is fixed in 2.3.

Hi Be0,

that does just sound like the issue I am experiencing, thanks! Do you have an explanation/assumption why this does occur on my new Ryzen computer but not on my older machine?

I guess, I’ll be using the beta for now while looking forward to the stable release.
At least the beta didn’t crash for me so far and I probably can trust it on a gig.

Thank you again for the awesome work! I have been using Mixxx for over ten years now without having any issues (well, that’s the first one) and it’s really great to see that it is so actively maintained. :smiley:

No, I have no idea why you wouldn’t encounter the bug on one computer but you do on the other.

Okay, I was just curious anyway.
I could do some more testing with different USB ports (2.0/3.0) and mice and keyboards, but since the bug is already fixed, I assume it is not necessary anymore that I try to isolate the actual cause, right? Or would that still be helpful?

You don’t need to do that.