Playing voice notes

Hi all. Firstly, hello and thanks for a great forum and app!!!

So my uncle is involved in an online radio channel, mostly music and talk but the occasional traffic and weather update in some shows.
These are usually sent by one of the ladies in the team to the DJ on air via WhatsApp voiceclips.
How can I set it up that WhatsApp plays directly through Mixxx to broadcast the clips?
When we played it, it played on the Headphones, but did not broadcast. I also tried downloading the clip and then drag and drop onto effects but I could not drop it.
He is using a 2011 Macbook pro.

Looking forward to your assistance.

You could load these downloaded audio clips into the sampler bank.

You could also attach the phone via “aux in” to your sound card and assign the aux input accordingly in Mixxx preferences. Then you can even play the audio from your phone. I wouldn’t go for Bluetooth connection for latency reasons

2 Likes

Hi @OsZ
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to do so.

“You could load these downloaded audio clips into the sampler bank.”
We tried this, but when we tried to drag and drop, it would highlight the Mixxx app but would not accept it when placed in the Sample widget in the app. Again, this was on Mac. I tried it on my Windows laptop and that seemed to work fine. Although, at the time i was not live broadcasting.

“You could also attach the phone via “aux in” to your sound card and assign the aux input accordingly in Mixxx preferences. Then you can even play the audio from your phone. I wouldn’t go for Bluetooth connection for latency reasons”
This might be an option. Phone with aux cable into the aux. I’ll give that a go, thank you so much.

Is it possible to “accept music from mac”, where in aux (or another channel) you could effectively tell mixxx to broadcast any sound created by the device? Whether a browser or app…?

Is it possible to “accept music from mac”, where in aux (or another channel) you could effectively tell mixxx to broadcast any sound created by the device? Whether a browser or app…?

If you are using El Capitan or earlier you can use Soundflower - in the Mac sound preferences set Soundflower as your output, and then in Mixxx you can choose Soundflower as your input in Mic or Aux. This will route any sound playing (e.g. in your browser) to Mixxx.

If using a newer Mac OS there are other options, including Jack - have a look at this article:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/someone-finally-came-up-with-a-soundflower-replacement-and-its-free-for-mac-users

1 Like

Thanks for this paulus. I was not able to find soundflower, but will try BlackHole.

Hi OsZ

Your suggestion for an aux cable solution worked great. Such a simple solution! Thank you again.

1 Like

Happy it’s working now.
If you like then watch the Mixxx tutorials on my Youtube for setting up Mixxx.
Cheers! OsZ

1 Like

It is on github:
https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower

It’s quite useful for a lot of things.

1 Like