responsive UI on Raspberry Pi

I decided to dive into trying out Mixxx on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the latest Raspbian (released Sept 10th) - think of Ubuntu/Debian Jessie.

The first run was to sudo apt install mixxx which provided me a apt installed (from the default Raspbian repositories - so providing hope I wasn’t only one in world doing this on Raspbian). This resulted in the following:

mixxx/stable,now 1.11.0~dfsg-4 armhf [installed]
  Digital Disc Jockey Interface

mixxx-data/stable,now 1.11.0~dfsg-4 all [installed,automatic]
  Digital Disc Jockey Interface -- data files

Was able to launch Mixxx and confirmed it worked however it was obvious the interface was struggling to be responsive. Felt like a frame or two a second with very laggy response from mouse clicks and really no usability for interface parts that involved dragging. The audio output was smooth though. Looking around a bit I felt like what was going on was software rendering of opengl was the likely culprit.

I then dived into the deep end and attempted to build Mixxx from master branch. After a bit of pain figuring out how to compile on arm (see the thread where I got help with that over at http://www.mixxx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8182 ) I managed to compile Mixxx 2 (master branch).

I did notice that during the configure, while the build was successful, the opengl-es was disabled.

In the end the line that worked well for building a responsive mixxx for a raspberrypi 3 was:

scones optimize=portable -j 2 prefix=/home/pi/mixxx opengles=1

Putting this here in case other RaspberryPi hackers find themselves going down this same rabbit hole.

On to learning how to use mixxx and how best to manage the music/mixxx db on a pi.

Kudos/shout-out to this great user support forum!

Have you tried different waveform renderers?

Yes, this is still an experimental feature, so it must be explicitly enabled if you want to test it.