[SOLVED] Can't make Hercule DJ Control MP3 E2 work under Linux

Hi all,

I could previously (let’s say one year ago) use my controller (Hercule DJ MP3 E2) with mixxx. I can’t remember the version on mixxx. But now with 2.3, I can’t make it work.

It is detected, I see it in the Preferences tab, but when activated and mapping loaded, nothing happens, the “Input mappings” is empty (and disabled). On the controller I can see Automix button light ON (so something is happening), but the controller buttons have no effects on Mixxx UI.

I tried :

• Desktop on Archlinux (up to date) : error described above
  • Laptop on Ubuntu 20.04 : same error
  • Same laptop, but under Windows : no error, it works

On both Archlinux and Ubuntu I use the given udev rules to enable uaccess on USB devices.

In the log file, the only related messages seems to be :

Debug [Controller]: Found "" "" "r14352" S/N "" "Interface 0"
Warning [Controller]: USB permissions problem (or device error.) Your account needs write access to USB HID controllers.
Debug [Controller]: Found "" "" "r14352" S/N "" "Interface 1"
Warning [Controller]: USB permissions problem (or device error.) Your account needs write access to USB HID controllers.

… but I suspect to be related to another HID USB device.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

After trying zillion things (including running with sudo), I simply changed the USB port and everything works. And for the records, I switch from the native USB 2 ports on my desktop to a USB 3 HUB… and now it works, which is nearly the opposite of expected behavior !

Anyway, I can play now, thanks to Mixxx team, this really is a fun software :slight_smile:

EDIT : note that I saw issues on hdjd tools (both hdjd and explore), and now they work perfectly so this is a first step : always check that hdjd tools works (even if the driver is not needed anymore)

1 Like