Tracks Converted To MP4 Won't Upload To Mixxx! 🤦‍♂️ What's Going On?

Well, as some of you may or may not recall, I made my first post here asking for advice on converting my tracks. Guess what? I managed to convert some of my tracks from WEBM/MKV to MP4 using VLC, but now, Mixxx can’t successfully upload them for whatever reason(s)! Not sure if it was how I converted the tracks or if it’s some other stupid issue/factor that I haven’t thought of yet… :thinking:

Anyway, I would appreciate it very much if someone can help me come up with a solution & figure out what is going on. If you need more details or wish to ask me any other questions you might have, please, feel free to do so & I’ll get back with you! :slight_smile: Thanks in advance to whomever can help!

“Upload”?

Please check the log file for messages when trying to open such a file. The file extension .mp4 should be recognized on all platforms that support MPEG4 files and AAC decoding. Mixxx will decode the first audio stream it finds.

Well, I DID mention that I converted my non-MP4 tracks using VLC. BTW, how do I check the log file, am I supposed to look for anything specific?

You can find the log file using the instructions here:

If you’re struggling to understand the contents of the log, please open an instance of Mixxx, attempt to load one of the tracks that won’t “upload” into one of the decks, then close Mixxx, access the log as above, and attach it to your next post - we’ll be able to have a look.

@pi_r_squared Correction: I meant to say “Could not be loaded”; not uploaded. :confused: Anyway, I tried what you suggested & here is the log file. I really don’t know what the issue is, but hopefully someone can tell me… mixxx.log (28.0 KB)

Windows MediaFoundation doesn’t seem to be able to access the audio stream contained in the .mp4 file (MPEG4 container) and returns Unsupported media type.

Please upload the file somewhere and send a link to it via private message. Then we could inspect what’s actually in this file. Don’t post the link publicly!

On Linux you could simply use mediainfo <filename> or ffmpeg -i <filename> for this purpose.

Sorry. I guess I shouldn’t have done that publicly. Try this OneDrive link instead: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Sharing the log file publicly does not reveal any sensitive information other than file and directory names.

@tapir Still, is it what was/is needed for you to help me?

We need the media file (.mp4) if you are not able to analyze what’s actually in it. But not as a public link.

@tapir OK. Sorry if I misinterpreted you there. This is 1 of the file I recently converted to mP4 as it had previously been a webm file. (I’ll end up deleting it after we’re done, but no need to worry about this being public since this is part of a music compilation project I’m working on.) I really just don’t understand why i couldn’t properly load it to Mixx though… :thinking:

Please don’t post links to copyrighted material in public! Deleted the link after download.

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'Tee Lopes - Green Grove Zone Re-imagined (Sonic 3D Blast).mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 0
    compatible_brands: mp41avc1
    creation_time   : 2021-08-20T07:38:43.000000Z
    encoder         : vlc 3.0.16 stream output
    encoder-eng     : vlc 3.0.16 stream output
  Duration: 00:02:58.71, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1464 kb/s
  Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: mp3 (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 127 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : SoundHandler
      vendor_id       : [0][0][0][0]
  Stream #0:1(eng): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709/unknown/unknown), 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 1329 kb/s, 29.98 fps, 29.97 tbr, 1000k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : VideoHandler
      vendor_id       : [0][0][0][0]

The audio stream in the MPEG4 container is in MP3 format. Windows Media Foundation doesn’t seem to like this combination.

Works without issues on Linux where FFmpeg is used as a fallback.

@tapir Let me clarify something: this is NOT copyrighted material; I officially got permission from both the artists themselves as well as any other Youtube channels that had the content I like. I assure you that I’m WELL aware of copyright infringements & all that crap. As for my pc, it runs Windows; not Linux. Is there any way I can properly convert the tracks so that I won’t have this issue?

Transcoding the audio stream to AAC instead of MP3 might work. But no one ever tested this.

Hello.

You did the conversion incorrectly in VLC, the MP4 file does not have the correct audio format and contains the video unnecessarily.

When opening the conversion option, you select the profile. If there isn’t a “MPEG 4 Audio - AAC” one, create a new profile with the following options:

Container: MP4/MOV
Video: Unselect it
Audio: Select it and choose “MPEG4 Audio (AAC)” and the bitrate. Possibly the default of 128 will be ok in this case.
Save and convert.

1 Like