Why is mixxx scanning one's home directory at startup?

In my mixxx.log file I always see the following messages:

Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/001 Jarguna - Scented Color.mp3"
Debug [Main]: WTrackTableView::loadTrackModel() AnalysisLibraryTableModel(0x55d64bd5f1e0)
Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/Cosmic_Crossings_Concert_Series_-_Tony_Gerber_Giles_Reaves.HD.mp3"
Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/002 Jarguna - The Morning Star.mp3"
Warning [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Failed to import track metadata and embedded cover art from file "file:///home/rody/BACKUP00.XM"
Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/BACKUP00.XM"
Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/firsttest.xm"
Info [BrowseThread]: SoundSourceProxy - Adding missing artist/title from file name "file:///home/rody/firsttest001.wav"
Debug [BrowseThread]: Append last  7

It looks like mixxx is scanning my home folder at startup. There are a few audio files there but what strikes me as odd is that I cannot find any setting that tells mixxx to look in my home folder for audio files. I checked the preferences screen, the mixxx.cfg file and even searched the entire sqllite database but nowhere is my home folder (/home/rody) listed… My library has only folders on my server, not in my home directory, so why is mixxx even looking there? Can it be some hard-coded location to search for audio files?

I’m using mixxx 2.2.4 on linuxmint 19

What makes it even more strange, the files that mixxx finds in one’s home directory are not added to the library. Why then is it trying to retrieve artist and title information?

First of all you could upgrade to 2.3

Could it be the recording directory? (Both the Computer and the Recording feature use the browse thread)
check the preferences > Recording

1 Like

The recording directory is unset as I have not used it. Could it be that in that case mixxx just assumes the directory is one’s home dir? If that’s the case then I should probably set it to a new empty directory and the messages should be gone… I’ll test that right away.

1 Like

Success! The messages are gone now. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

which version do you use?
a few Rec-related bugfixes and improvements were added in 2.3

I’m using mixxx 2.2.4 on linuxmint 19 and I’m very happy with it. Started using 2.2.2 two years ago and would rather stick to what I have now than to keep upgrading and find myself in an ever changing landscape. No crashes, no changes, no weird new issues.

Oh, I might be persuaded to switch to a newer version if it would provide individual status icons (or even better: led-lookalike’s) for the outgoing streams. But right now that’s the only reason I could think of that would make me upgrade…